As October has ended, the staff at the National Agricultural Law Center continue to bring trusted research and information in agricultural and food law to stakeholders across the country. Outlined below are many of the new NALC resources from October 2023.
- October 18 – Not Your Grandfather’s Corn Maze – Regulatory and Legal Responses to Challenges Faced by Agriculture Due to PFAS Contamination
- State Proposals on Restricting Foreign Ownership of Farmland: Part Eight
- DOL, DHS, and USDA Launch New Proposed Rules and Initiatives Affecting H-2 Programs
- EPA Draft Herbicide Strategy Open for Comment
- Spotlighting State Restrictions on Foreign Land Investments: Alabama
- Members of Congress Propose Bills to Amend the Federal Crop Insurance Program
- Good Husbandry in Agricultural Leases
- Farm Animal Confinement: Legal Challenges to Mass. Question 3
- Doctrine of Chevron Deference Challenged at the High Court
- Spotlighting State Restrictions on Foreign Land Investments: Arkansas – Part One
- Harrison Pittman, NALC Director
- October 3 – spoke on the latest developments regarding foreign ownership of agricultural land at the 2023 Fall Harvest Conference on Emerging Trends and Opportunities in the Agriculture and Food Industries in Indianapolis, IN.
- Elizabeth Rumley, Senior Staff Attorney
- October 31 – spoke at Dr. Looper’s Animal Science class in the Bumpers College at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR, on standards of identity.
- Rusty Rumley, Senior Staff Attorney
- October 17-18 – spoke at Armed to Farm event in Hudson Valley, NY on landowner liability.
- October 27 – spoke at Kansas Farm Bureau symposium in Manhattan, KS on carbon leasing.
- October 30 – spoke at University of Arkansas-Cossatot Community College in Ashdown, AR on estate planning.
NALC Media Mentions
- October 1 – Arkansas Democrat-Gazette – Tracking foreign-owned farmland across U.S. draws testimony from Arkansas expert
- October 3 – The Batesville Daily Guard – Arkansas’ unique law on foreign ownership of agricultural lands
- October 3 – The Batesville Daily Guard – Foreign-owned acres of U.S. farmland may be underreported
- October 4 – High Plains Journal – Arkansas’ unique law on foreign ownership of agricultural lands
- October 6 – Arkadelphian – Effects of ‘forever chemicals’ on agriculture topic of Oct. 18 webinar
- October 6 – The Batesville Daily Guard – Effects of ‘forever chemicals’ on agriculture topic of Oct. 18 NALC webinar
- October 10 – Paragould Daily Press – Effects of ‘forever chemicals’ on agriculture topic of Oct. 18 NALC webinar
- October 11 – Talk Business & Politics – Farmland owned by foreigners may be significantly underreported
- October 17 – Quartz – Arkansas orders Chinese company’s subsidary to divest itself of agricultural land
- October 17 – seattlepi.com – Arkansas orders Chinese company’s subsidary to divest itself of agricultural land
- October 17 – Arkansas Business – AG Tim Griffin Orders China-Owned Company to Divest Arkansas Farmland
- October 17 – Financial Post – Arkansas orders Chinese company’s subsidary to divest itself of agricultural land
- October 18 – Stuttgart Daily Leader – Arkansas 1st to take enforcement action on foreign-ownership law as AG tells Chinese-owned company to divest farmland, levies fine
- October 18 – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette – State orders a Chinese-state owned Syngenta Seeds to divest ownership of Arkansas farmland
- October 18 – KOSU-NPR – Public comment for EPA’s herbicide strategy is ending
- October 18 – Jonesboro Sun – Griffin orders sale of farmland near Bay
- October 19 – KAIT tv broadcast – Ag agent reacts to Syngenta being forced to sell assets
- October 19 – ksby.com – Arkansas orders Chinese-owned company to sell farmland
- October 19 – Arkansas Democrat-Gazette – Ban 1st enforced on foreign-owned land
- October 19 – FarmJournal/AGWEB – Arkansas Takes On Foreign-Land Ownership With New Rule
- October 19 – Head Topics – Arkansas orders Chinese-owned company to sell farmland
- October 19 – AgFax – Arkansas Takes on Foreign-Land Ownership with New Rule
- October 25 – AgriPulse – Syngenta weighing next steps following Arkansas land divestment order
- October 26 – Stuttgart Daily Leader – Nov. 8 webinar for specialty crop producers will detail liability under Arkansas Food Freedom Act
- October 26 – The Batesville Daily Guard – Webinar for specialty crop producers will detail liability
- October 27 – FarmProgress – Top takeaways from farm transition planners
- October 31 – Talk Business & Politics – Arkansas Farm Bureau hires Jay Robbins for national government affairs role
Work from our NALC Partners
Ohio State University Agricultural & Resource Law Program
- Charitable Remainder Trusts as a Retirement Strategy for Farmers
- Ohio State University to Provide Resolution Services for Ohio Farms
- Is AI Ready to Draft Your Farm Lease?
- October 17 – Ag Lender Update – Ottawa, OH, 70 participants
- October 18 – Ag Lender Update – Wooster, OH, 40 participants
- October 18 – Drainage issues – online, Butler Co. SWCD, 20 participants